23 February 2010

My Jamie Oliver apprenticeship


It’s the end of the month and money is tighter than a kiddies swimming cap at this stage, so I have to be 'prudent' about my spending. I did the only thing that any intelligent, money-savvy person would do...I hid my credit card in my cupboard. What this means for me however, is that I can't purchase any food until Friday. Luckily, while rummaging through my freezer in my ravenous, post-work-out state last night, I managed to find the following: two packets of bread (each containing the two end slices of bread that I keep but never eat), a container of frozen coconut milk, 2 chicken breasts and a packet of frozen wraps. YES!!!! Chicken wraps for dinner.

Here's how to make the perfect juicy chicken wraps with very limited ingredients...

What you need:

• 1 wrap (Weigh less make their own wraps which you can freeze for a bloody long time considering how long they have been in my freezer for).

• 1 large chicken breast

• 4/5 cherry tomatoes

• Feta cheese

• 4 Baby spinach leaves or 1 lettuce leaf

• 2 tbs Soy sauce

• 1 tbs Olive oil

• Blob of Sweet chilli sauce

• Salt and pepper to taste
Method:
• Chop up the salad ingredients finely (the smaller thay are, the more you can stuff into the wrap).

• Heat the oil in a medium, non-stick frying pan.

• Add the chicken to the pan and stir-fry until cooked. Don't turn the chicken until the underside has browned since stirring too soon prevents the chicken from turning a golden brown colour and makes it look pale and pasty.

• When the chicken is nearly cooked, add a pinch of salt and pepper and the soy sauce.

• Remove chicken from pan and allow to cool slightly.

• Warm the wrap on a plate in the microwave for 20-30 seconds - don’t let the wrap bubble or get crispy since this somehow makes folding the wrap that much more difficult.

• Place a blob or two of sweet chilli on the wrap and spread with a knife.

• Add salad ingredients and chicken.

• Fold approximately a 1/4 of the wrap up from the bottom and then fold the left and right sides over this.

• If you can get this right without losing any ingredients while eating, then you deserve an award and I humbly applaud you. I won't judge if your wrap bursts open and all the ingredients pour onto your lap while taking a bite. This is normal.

Bon Appétit!













No comments:

Post a Comment