05 February 2010

I am a sucker for tears

Jozi has a vast array of beggars, drifters and hawkers at every thinkable street corner, robot, stop street, intersection, parking lot and sidewalk. They are super sneaky and have developed many astounding ninja tactics to entice you to buy superglue, hangers and black plastic bags by the truck load. I know all this because I have the evidence on the floor of my passenger seat. Now there was one particular run-in I had with a drifter I wish to share with you. This sneaky traveling worker has gained the force of red weepy eye, and he is not afraid to use it.

So I stopped at a busy intersection, window down, sunglasses on, listening to John Meyer...as you do…when out of nowhere, the weepy red-eyed travelling worker appeared. Squinting down at me, he asked if I had some change or cigarettes for him. I told him I didn't smoke and that my wallet was in the boot. At this, the travelling worker looked directly into the 12 o'clock sun for a split second, and back at me. I was horrified. His eyes had welled up, and tears streamed down his face. I crumbled. I took the glasses off my face and handed them over to him, telling him that 'it is important to protect your eyes from the sun'. And just like that, he was gone.

Beware the force of red weepy eye, for it attacks without the slightest warning and leaves you squinty and exposed.

No comments:

Post a Comment